Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dragons

I'm using a different font today because I am fun.

During the snowstorms, I will admit that I watched TV. And somehow I stumbled onto RuPaul's Drag Race, the reality show in which contestants vie to be the next "Drag Queen Superstar!" Because, there are, SO many drag queens competing to be famous. In any case, I love the show. It's fascinating to me. I'm watching a subculture of the subculture that I'm in. I'll be candid: I get slightly uncomfortable. Here: I'll take it further: I get afraid. That's what's beneath my fascination. I simply don't understand it. I do not understand wanting to look like a woman, or a drag queen (I think there is a difference for some of them). I have had some friends who have done that on Halloween. I did have one friend, who I did heroin with, who was a drag queen performer. When we were fucked up, he suggested that he dress up as a woman, I put him on a leash, and we go sit on Santa's lap at Macy's for Xmas photos. But that's the extent of my experience with drag.
Now, I think to myself: can it really be called a "reality" show?
It's certainly a competition, but RuPaul is the monarch, and his/her word is final. When he sets the queens up for elimination at the end of the show, the tension mounts. The camera pans in on their pancake-makeup. You can see the fear in the queen's eyes, as if they're going to be thrown to crocodiles in a moat if they're eliminated. Then, to make matters worse, they have to "lip synch for your life." How sadistic, RuPaul, to make the queens do something that should be fun and free and frolicky in order to remain in the competition. What pressure! That's the part of the show I hate the most. I get so uncomfortable and embarrassed because one of those bitches is going to be sent packing.
When I discovered the show, I quickly called my sister.
"Oh man, you HAVE to watch RuPaul. Watch it, watch it."
She indulged me, as she generally does.
She texted during the show:

Ewwwww the fat one is fat!!

I texted back:

And fat, too.

Which begins the game that we play, which can go on for hours sometimes.

Her:
Thanks for saying And fat!

Me:
Thanks for thanking me.

Her:
Thanks for acknowledging that I said thanks!

Me:
I see you used an exclamation point!

Her:
Thanks for acknowledging the exclamation point!

Me:
Ur welcome.

Her:
Thanks for taking the time to say Ur welcome.


My sister is very mannerly. <-- the adverb modifies the verb

No comments:

Post a Comment